Thursday, April 10, 2008

SUCCESS!!!!!!

I won! I won the potty wars! This one is about Allie using the potty so if this is of no interest to you, don't read on. For those of you who care and know the struggle it has been can celebrate with me. Yesterday I decided was the day, I was gonna make it the day. So i let her run around the house in nothing and put the potty in the middle of the living room floor. I told her if she would sit on her potty I would let her watch Little Einsteins. So I sit next to her and watched two whole episodes. I was sick of that so then we put in Potty Time with Elmo. I thought her problem was she couldn't make all the connections, needing to use the potty, what happens at the potty etc. So i thought if I made her sit on the potty til it happens she'll figure it out. I gave her 3 cups of juice and a little way into the Elmo movie she started crying. She was whining and saying "I need a diaper, I need a diaper". I realized she totally knew!!!! She's just being lazy! So I made her sit there, she started really crying and I just held her...then it happen! She used the potty! I had told her I would get her a present if she did that, so she picked out a Princess Tea set. I bought some Hershey Kisses for the next time. Today, I left the potty out but didn't make her sit on it. Every once in a while she'll just go and sit there, but nothing happens. Then she started freaking out like she did before about needing a diaper. We sat there for awhile singing our ABC's and doing phonics. I eventually let her get up. Then a few minutes later, she came running up to me telling me she had used the potty. I went to look....and she actually did it! I could not believe it. I know every child eventually learns this, but I was starting to think Allie would be in diapers forever. And I was seriously doubting myself as a mother. I couldn't believe she did it without me prompting her. Who knows what the rest of today will bring. I'll probably end up cleaning up puddles all day, but atleast we had one victory. Hopefully we can move on from here and only have to buy one size of diapers!

1 comment:

Ben, Amy, Avery and Hudson said...

Yay!! Allie is such a big girl! I know you are thrilled at the prospect of only having one little one in diapers! Give both of the girls a hug for us.